 Off-Topic / Debate / 3275
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 14:31:12 GMT

<38741B0A.4F62FC4B@cleanweb.net> <slrn879752.341.mattdm@jadzia.bu.edu>

Matthew Miller wrote:

So if the government does something good, it's still evil?

Yes. Unless you're a big fan of "the ends justify the means". Good
outcomes do not justify pernicious mechanisms for achieving them.

I guess I'm
concerned with making things work. Why attach idealist "this must be done by
the government" or "this must be done by private sector" notions to things?

But from a utilitarian argument, government programs just don't work,
and from a rights based argument, they are evil usurpations of private
property.