 Off-Topic / Debate / 3278
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 14:41:07 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
Yes. Unless you're a big fan of "the ends justify the means". Good
outcomes do not justify pernicious mechanisms for achieving them.

I'm not saying anything about justifying anything. "Ends justify the means"
implies some sort of need for justificiation, and as I said, I'm assuming
neither a totally evil government nor totally evil capitalists.

But from a utilitarian argument, government programs just don't work,

Not true. They may not work as well as some other system might, but they
certainly work to some degree. Otherwise, our country -- certainly currently
involving a lot of government programs, like it or not -- would have
collapsed a long time ago, yeah? Government food programs _do_ feed some
starving people. Government highways do get some people from place to place.
Government policing force does something to help maintain order. They
_work_, even if there is an ideal situation which may be better.

and from a rights based argument, they are evil usurpations of private
property.

From _some_ rights based arguments. I'll get into this in a seperate post.