 Off-Topic / Debate / 3277
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 14:38:02 GMT

<387424BA.8AA8A11@voyager.net> <slrn8797ta.341.mattdm@jadzia.bu.edu>

Matthew Miller wrote:

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
which I shan't bother to refute till you've reviewed the posts in the
past that deal with it and tried to refute THEM. Merely asserting that
the moon is made of green cheese doesn't actually make it so, you know.

Fair enough -- I admit to joining the debate in progress. There's several
thousand posts in this newsgroup; discussing them all becomes an
ever-increasing burden to entry. Could you point me to several in particular
that you'd like me to discuss?

Well, this doesn't narrow it down a lot, because the entire thread is
still 400+ posts, but if you jump in here:

http://www.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=1358

you'll be in the thick of the main thread I was referring to. Move
around a bit in there and you'll get a sense of who was on what side of
the main arguments. No one refuted my argument, at least not to my
satisfaction, the thread kind of just petered out with everyone staying
in their same position.

However it DOES provide a good elaboration of the position I hold, to
wit: you cannot make goods appear out of thin air, and since this is so,
you do not have the moral right to give someone a right to goods they
have not earned, because to do so means that you intend to usurp those
goods from someone else. No matter what noble goal you have in mind, you
cannot violate the actual rights of one person to supply a supposed
right to another.

Again, from my perspective, no one refuted that position using a
property rights based argument. My adversaries in the debate merely
asserted that "everyone knows that we have to help our fellow man" and
similar twaddle. So far, nice guy that you are notwithstanding, you show
signs of falling into a similar mindset.