 Off-Topic / Debate / 3276
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 14:22:34 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
The US Constitution and Bill of Rights, coined by the founding fathers,
all rights are God given.
Insert an "under" in front and you should be able to parse it, although
it may still be on shaky grammatical ground.

Not to mention on shaky accuracy ground! The Constitution doesn't speak of
either god or rights. And the first ten amendments don't attribute the rights
they speak of to any specific external source.

Well, it speaks (Looking at my CATO supplied Constitution & Bill of
Rights) , "the separate and equal Station to which the Laws of Nature
and of Nature's God...." for one (In the Declaration of Independence).
The concept of natural law, in which the founders thought of when
writing the Constitution and Bill of Rights, is that there is a higher
power than man, one where our rights deprive. These men, 52 of 55 where
all members of their respective church, were believers, and this tells
me its God. Newt Gingrich made the comment where it might not be one
specific religions God, but rather a higher power (divine) than man
himself. This is natural law. This is what I am referring to.

The Declaration of Independence mentions that certain rights are given by a
"Creator". [1] But that's not the constitution, let alone a definitive
philosophical bible, and shouldn't be taken as such!

Yes, there is. One can certainly say that we'd like everyone to have an
education, good health care, and a secure retirement. Laudable goals, and
ones that I share. But there is a big leap from stating that as a desired
attribute of society, to stating that everyone has a RIGHT to those things.

What's the difference?

Were in the Bill of Rights or Constitution does it say we have a right
to all the things the UN says we do? I don't think of the UN as anything
more than a left wing propaganda machine.

For, once you say that, you have to say where these free goods come
from.

There aren't any free goods coming from anywhere. Deciding that something is
a right is very different from implementing or trying to implement a system
to realize that right. Furthermore, rights vary in relative strength -- the
canonical example being that I may have a free-speech right to yell "fire"
wherever I please, but that the right to watch movies in peace is far
stronger. :)

Do you have a right to "watch movies in peace"? The only rights I see
are guaranteed by the US Constitution, and the Bill of Rights. Not by
the UN. I do not think we are under the UN flag yet, we are under the
US.

Scott S.
Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net
Systems Administrator/CAD Operator-Affiliated Engineers ->
http://www.aeieng.com
Home Page -> http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/index.html