 Off-Topic / Debate / 3274
Re: Swearing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 14:28:12 GMT

Christopher Lannan wrote:
I guess my point here is that words like "obscene" "pornography" and
"decent" say more about the speaker than the thing the speaker is describing.

I'm not so sure (see my post above).  Can't I come up with an idea so obscene
that every normal, decent human being will say, "That's sick!"

  But this, too, is circular, since your question implies that a human being
who doesn't say "That's sick!" is not normal and decent.

     Dave!