 Off-Topic / Debate / 3268
Re: Swearing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 05:27:25 GMT

Christopher Lannan wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Matthew Miller writes:
John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote:
It's useful if you are a pervert trying to pass off obscenities as art.

"Pornography!" is a useful label if you're a reactionary who is frightened
by art that might make people think.

Here's my definition of pornography-(in jest, a little)

pornography- the word a prude uses to describe media which portrays folks who
are having more fun than he is.

I guess my point here is that words like "obscene" "pornography" and "decent"
say more about the speaker than the thing the speaker is describing.

I'm not so sure (see my post above).  Can't I come up with an idea so obscene
that every normal, decent human being will say, "That's sick!"

-John

Chris