 Off-Topic / Debate / 28625
Re: Meta Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 05:30:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Franks wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:

   I’m not exactly sure that anyone has attempted to start a new site ‘to make a few bucks’. ... I believe the first offshoot sites were started due to disagreements about the running and format of things rather than any misguided attempt to make money... BICBW.

That seems to be the consensus. But I don’t see any Rock Raiders offshoot sites, which from my external perspective makes it look less about format, and more about cherry-picking... BICBVW!

And there I was thinking it might only be for themes lots of people were interested in.

   I have my doubts that anyone even could.

Well, I don’t think it’s that hard considering the numbers - e.g. Classic Space has had an average of 55 posts a day over the last 3 years:

http://www.classic-space.com/plugins/forum/forumstats.php

It doesn’t show page-views directly, but you can estimate a post/view ratio of around 1:80.57 from the data on this page: http://www.classic-space.com/plugins/forum/forumviewforum.php?6

Which would make for an average of around 4431 views/day on the forums alone. Actually, that should be multiplied by at least two because the main forum index serves adverts in addition to the individual threads - 8862.

Assuming a weak CPM of $1, that’s around $8.86/day, or about $3233/year - not enough to live on, but certainly enough to cover bandwidth costs.

The assumptions I’ve made are conservative -- they would have to be doing something very wrong if they are not turning a profit.

Richard

Well MOCpages breaks even but CSF has, until quite recently been run purely out of pocket. I realise that research is a bit slower than hand-waving economics but it does have its own rewards.

Tim