 Off-Topic / Debate / 27642
Re: At last, some family-values legislation I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:17:43 GMT

   Hagen equates being a republican to being gay.

**snip**

   I’m sure the tolerant Mr. Hagen will have no problem with polygamist families adopting children as well. How about centenarians? What bigotry, discriminating against the elderly! Disgusting!

DaveE’s comments made me realize a few other weaknesses in this argument.

First, you’re apparently equating homosexuality with being a centenarian or a polygamist, at least to the extent that you think that Hagen is equating homosexuality and republicanism. Are you in fact positing that equivalence? On what grounds?

Second, no one is expressly proposing legislation to bar centenarians from adoption, so the analogy is mute. I’m not sure about polygamists--probably somebody somewhere has sponsored such legislation, but I just don’t know. In any case, you’re ordering Hagen to be an advocate for whatever group you decide, and that’s not up to you. Or me, for that matter; it’s up to Hagen, his principles, and his constituents.

Dave!