 Off-Topic / Debate / 27641
Re: At last, some family-values legislation I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:58:13 GMT

   Hagen equates being a republican to being gay. Certainly one can change their party on a whim. Can one change their sexual orientation? His implication is that being gay and being republican are two, mutually exclusive qualities. He should stick to the losing game plan of liberals equating “gay rights” to the black civil rights movement.

Well, if he had picked something slightly more equivalent, like “personality type X” or “brown eyes” or “under 5 feet tall”, it wouldn’t quite get the same type of media attention he’s looking for. But I think his point still stands-- IE that Hood’s bill proves just as much as Hagan’s that such candidates are or aren’t “good” parents.

   I’m sure the tolerant Mr. Hagen will have no problem with polygamist families adopting children as well. How about centenarians? What bigotry, discriminating against the elderly! Disgusting!

What gives you the impression that he’d have such an objection? I wouldn’t, except perhaps on the centenarians, since other, more tangible aspects of parenting could be proven more difficult for the extremely elderly.

My guess is that you personally have an objection to elderly adopting young kids, given your phrasing, but on what grounds would you base that? IE, at what specific age do you think it’s a problem? And why? I’d probably give the elderly the same scrutiny as I’d give everyone else; but it would probably just result in the fact that aspects indirectly related to age would be the cause for their rejection, and not age itself. Similarly (and perhaps a better example), what do you find objectionable about polygamist adoption? How about Islamic adoption? (Does Islam still promote polygamy in some sects? Is that acceptable?)

The logical, yet absurd question that follows Hood’s proposed bill is whether you allow gays to come into any sort of contact with children whatsoever. As a first step, should gays be allowed to teach? Should they be allowed to have public office, since that would give the implication to children that someone who was gay could hold a respected office? Should gays be prohibited from other positions like child psychiatry? Working at a summer camp?

Assuming that you could even prove that it *was* damaging to children to be exposed to gay lifestyle, what level of so-called “damaging” to a child’s psyche is permissable?

   If democrats want to get serious and run this country, they’d better clean house of “humorists” such as Mr. Hagen. He’s a liability.

I admit to a certain extent that it’s a waste of time and money to actually propose such a bill (in case it jokingly were accepted for consideration). But at the same time, I hadn’t heard about the bill on banning gay adoption until hearing about this. So, it *was* an effective method to get *my* attention, and probably others’. He might indeed be a liability (I really couldn’t say), though I’m not sure I’d conclude that from this action.

DaveE