 Off-Topic / Debate / 27278
  Re: Heads up, atheists

(...) Thanks for the response, Dave! Okay, so you'd tend to disagree with his supposition:-) What interested me about the piece is the fact that the author claims to be an atheist, so the typical "preaching to the choir" accusation doesn't quite fit (...) (19 years ago, 18-Sep-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Heads up, atheists

(...) I'm an atheist, and I tend to agree with that opinion, just not as strongly, ie life is about a *mixture* of MEMEME and caring for others. But if your opinion is your best argument, then I don't think you have much of an argument - the article (...) (19 years ago, 19-Sep-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Heads up, atheists

--SNIP-- (...) I would think that doing good for religious people is more about personal gain than for atheists. Theists always believe that their good deeds will go rewarded by God or Karma or some other external system whereas atheists care only (...) (19 years ago, 19-Sep-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Heads up, atheists

(...) Hey Tim- I knew this would come up:-) Actually, doing good for religious people is more of a response rather than an attempt to curry favor. Christian doctrine is that we are saved by grace alone; God's love is unconditional. One cannot earn (...) (19 years ago, 19-Sep-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Heads up, atheists

(...) I absolutely disagree. Unitarian Universalism (which is not all atheists) is generally promotes the idea that there is not an external reward for good deeds. Frank (19 years ago, 19-Sep-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Heads up, atheists

(...) That's why I coined this stunningly witty phrase: preaching to the choir, even if the preacher isn't part of the congregation. Nyuk nyuk nyuk. (...) No. All arguments by non-believers are inherently perfect and sumptuously articulated. (...) (...) (19 years ago, 19-Sep-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Heads up, atheists

(...) And I completely agree with your disagreement. Writing always is never, ever, ever a good idea. I'll change the "always" to "almost always" and then I'll be fine ;). Tim (19 years ago, 19-Sep-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Heads up, atheists

(...) God's love, what a joke. Send all the sinners to Hell, but love them. Riiiight. (19 years ago, 21-Sep-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Heads up, atheists

(...) (URL) (19 years ago, 21-Sep-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)