 Off-Topic / Debate / 27232
Re: LEGO Factory Terms Of Service
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:02:03 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

   As Lenny explained, there is a tradition in Islamic art of not portraying the human figure.

And I agreed that the statement was valid. It was the wording I had a problem with.

   I’m not sure what you found unfortunately worded about my post. I am asking a valid question: is the LEGO Factory TOS’ prohibition on the depiction of human beings an attempt to placate Muslim consumers, or does it have some other explanation?

Had it been worded like above I would have had no problem with it at all, and would have looked the topic up or asked about it. As it was you said “Is this some sort of Islamic thing?” which can potentially be taken quite badly. Even had you said “Is this some sort of fundamentalist Islamic thing?” I still would have been happy with it.

   The idea of a Scandinavian company kowtowing to Muslim fundamentalists is not unprecedented:

PM blasts IKEA

“We have over 200 warehouses around the world and have to take cultural considerations into account. In Muslim countries there is a problem using women in instructions,” IKEA’s information chief Camilla Lindemann told VG.

Marc Nelson Jr.

The history of companies (in general) kowtowing to religious fundamentalists (in general) is not unprecedented either. The fallout from Janet Jackson’s breast being the most obvious example I can remember recently, although I know there are plenty more.

Tim