 Off-Topic / Debate / 27227
Re: LEGO Factory Terms Of Service
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:02:41 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   Some weird stuff in here... “Your model must not show human beings”?

Do they mean actual, living persons, or any generic human figure? Is this some sort of Islamic thing?

What exactly do you mean by ‘some sort of Islamic thing?’? Are you referring to the way that one should not make images of the Prophet? If so then it is probably some sort of Christian thing too as the Bible is pretty firm about idols.

Islamic views on “idols” are quite a bit more .. umm.. severe? than Christian views. Basically, Islam wants to avoid any appearance of idol worship what-so-ever, so images of people are usually avoided. Photographs of friends and family are permitted, but they aren’t hung on the walls or in other places that honor the photo (ie, you can keep them in a photo book, or next to computer). Images of the Prophet, the Prophet’s family, or other fathers of Islam are very rare. Islamic children’s book generally have people, but their faces are kept blank.

I should note that these are traditionalist Sunni Muslim beliefs. I’m not sure about Shi’ite, Sufi, Kharijite or other Islamic views on idols and imagery. Modernist or reformed Sunnis might also be more relaxed on observing these traditions.

Contrast this with Eastern Orthodox Icons, Catholic religious paintings, and Protestant depictions of Jesus. There are some protestant denominations who take a stronger, more traditional view on images/idols (Jehovah’s Witnesses come to mind, others too). Historically, early Christians (c.200AD) had a view very similiar to the Islamic view, but when the religion was abopted by the Romans, there were some concessions made. Ironically, the split between Orthodox and Catholic Churchs was a dispute over use of Icons and Idols - the Orthodox disliked Icons but later embraced them.

-Lenny