 Off-Topic / Debate / 2721
Re: 2000 Dealer catalogue Removal Request Backfire?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 19:53:53 GMT

Here's my quick opinion:

TLG has the right to do as they wish with their information, and that
includes putting restrictions on how and when (and if) it is made
available.

True, but:

1. I have never seen nor has anyone ever produced anything in _writing_ that
indicates that a Vendors catalog is confidential, or privileged information.

2. It is true that they hold them close and don't give them out to everyone.
It is left up to the bearer what to make of that.

3. There is absolutely nothing in a vendors catalog that is not also in the
consumer catalogs except for casepack information (yawn), and pictures of the
boxes. The pictures of the boxes are of particular interest to the fan
community (in addition to the usual historical interest).

4. Separate from the vendors catalog is a price schedule, which common
sense would dictate is priveleged and confidential with or without markings.

5. For a long time I have had several _old_ vendors catalogs online, and no
one has ever said anything in public or private about the merits or morality
of hosting them.  I have witheld more recent vendors catalogs because I felt
they should be a few years old before going online, similar to recent
instructions.

My opinion (and experience) is that vendor catalog scans are perfectly
acceptable as long as they are a few years old.  Maybe even one year old,
but I agree that publishing a vendors catalog with not-yet-public sets was a
bad idea.  It's not the catalog, it's the not-yet-public information that
was a problem.

TLG doesn't respect us much, if at all, as a corporation now.

Do you have any evidence to support this?  I bet they're laughing at what
a big deal we made out of this.

KL