 Off-Topic / Debate / 2723
Re: 2000 Dealer catalogue Removal Request Backfire?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 20:25:32 GMT

"Kevin Loch" <kloch@opnsys.com> wrote in message

[snipped well written, agreeable points throughout]

3. There is absolutely nothing in a vendors catalog that is not also in • the
consumer catalogs except for casepack information (yawn), and pictures of • the
boxes.

This may not be so, Kevin.  For this year, Lego has apparently
_intentionally_
left information out of the consumer catalogs regarding some of the upcoming
themes.  In particular, there is no set detail for the new adventurers line
nor the new Race line.  Now, we can speculate about why they did this, but
me it is apparent that they did it because they wanted those sets to be kept
secret, until their releases later this year.

This same thing was done last year with the Cybermaster set 8482 in the
Austrian and German (and perhaps other) catalogs.

While this may seem like a small detail, I really do think this is a very
large part of the fuss.  It is clear that some information was given to the
public prematurely.  And this would naturally upset TLC, and thus perhaps
harm
relations between them and the AFOL community.

If, when the rest of the consumer catalogs come out (EU in-box, and
in-store)
we find that they do detail these upcoming themes, then I'd say that the
whole thing was probably overly fussed about.  But if they are similarly
only
hinted at in these catalogs, then I'd say it's clear that the fuss is at
least _a little_ warranted.

As for the other themes shown in this vendor catalog, I suspect that the
majority of them will be shown in the EU in-box and in-store catalogs.  In
fact, the Technic sets ought to be shown in the US in-box Technic catalog
and
in-box Lego Direct Technic brochure.  I plan on verifying this ASAP by
purchasing sets 8236, 8237, and 8238, which should be in stores any day now.

My opinion (and experience) is that vendor catalog scans are perfectly
acceptable as long as they are a few years old.  Maybe even one year old,
but I agree that publishing a vendors catalog with not-yet-public sets was • a
bad idea.  It's not the catalog, it's the not-yet-public information that
was a problem.

Exactly.