 Off-Topic / Debate / 26893
Re: How many of these have you seen used here?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 21:09:04 GMT

Thirty - Eight Ways to Win an Argument from Schopenhauer's "The Art of
Controversy"

http://www.searchlores.org/schopeng.htm

Found via a link from http://del.icio.us/ ... surely one of the most clever
URL choices out there!

To a certain extent, I think I've used: 1, 4, 9, 16, 20, 25, 32, 33

Of course, as regards #1, I'm usually an advocate of testing the extremes of any
given theory. Hence, I'll typically show the extremes of my *own* propositions
as well, to show that they hold up in extremes, in addition to how opposing
theories fail under extremes. I tend to think that I don't often try and
*narrow* the span of my defense, but attempt to widen it as much as possible.

Most of these also depend on your audience. I think the majority will work on
"Joe Average", but not on an intelligent crowd. In fact, when I see what appear
to be uses of some of these methods, I'm often inclined to think less of the
person using them rather than the person defending against them.

Also, it's geared towards winning an observed debate rather than convincing
someone they're wrong. Many of them are in fact *detrimental* towards convincing
your opponant, but useful in convincing the *audience* to come to your side.

DaveE