 Off-Topic / Debate / 25923
25922  |  25924
Subject:
human sexuality
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:01:03 GMT

John,

I know my views are in the minority. I’m not sure what made you think that I didn’t know that. (How could I not?) That doesn’t make them wrong. There have been a great many people through history who had unpopular ideas that are now widely accepted as truth.

I don’t understand the repeated use of the word clarity in your post. Are you asking me to explicate my opinion on indecency? I have in the past and we disagreed then, but I’ll do so again if it serves a purpose.

Also, I want to take a moment to apologize. The claim that you get off on harming people requires some clarification and I actually think that Larry might well have censored me instead of you. (I mean, you were certainly inappropriate, but self-defense even justifies murder, so I’d call it no foul.) So the deal is, I think that having people behave in the way that you want them to -- and repressing open human sexual expression is one of these way, is harmful to the individual and to the social sphere (particularly perniciously becuase it perpetuates itself). But I don’t think that you believe that this harm exists. So I don’t really think you get off on the harm. I suspect you are blinded by abusive early-life programming and should be treated as mentally ill but not evil.

I don’t expect you to like that characterization, but it’s a much more acurate depiction of my belief about you and I thought that since I had crossed the line, even for .o-t.debate, I should set things “right.”

As to whether children are harmed by being exposed to open sexuality, I think the proof is obvious. Most of the world’s population through most of history lived in one-room dwellings. Most of humanity watched parents copulate, hopefully lovingly. I believe that kids might be (probably are?) harmed by witnessing violent non-concentual sex. But it is obvious that they are not harmed by watching “normal” sex. This is further made obvious by the fact that I and many other kids in modern western society have had access to pornography (and even live displays of sexuality) during our formative years with no ill effect. I’m not even sure how you can come to another conclusion.

You claim that I think that “one day, the entire world will be bisexual.” And then you refute it with “Cukoo.” I suspect you can do better. But what’s the point since I never did assert such a thing? My point was only in defending Larry’s very reasonable point that you were oddly hostile toward. I think some “clarity” on what you didn’t like would be valuable.

Chris