 Off-Topic / Debate / 25926
Re: human sexuality
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:32:53 GMT

(I’m at a client, so it’s a hassle to switch identities, but I’m wearing my Admin hat in this post)

This post is not just directed at Chris.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

   Also, I want to take a moment to apologize. The claim that you get off on harming people requires some clarification and I actually think that Larry might well have censored me instead of you. (I mean, you were certainly inappropriate, but self-defense even justifies murder, so I’d call it no foul.)

To clarify. we did not censor anyone, nor did we wish to. LUGNET does not practice censorship. I certainly think there are posts in this thread and other recent ones that the authors ought to request cancellation of, in the interests of harmony, and I certainly wish they would, but LUGNET does not force people to cancel things.

We can restrict posting ability (either via a short timeout, or a restriction from a certain group, or globally when it becomes clear that the poster can not or will not abide by the ToS) but we do not censor.

However, I think you may have meant “censure”, which is a different word, with the meaning to criticise or rebuke, or to express official disapproval. It carrys a very harsh connotation, in my view, harsher than is warranted except in repeat cases where people just will not listen to reasonable requests to tone it down. I don’t think it applies here, I think the participants here, for the most part, are usually reasonable and I think people are perhaps understandably worked up to a tone they normally would not take. There has been a lot of provocation on several sides.

Several LUGNET administrators have expressed disapproval of a number of the posts in this thread and other threads because, in our view, they are overstepping the bounds of polite discourse. I’m not sure I’d go so far as to say that we censured anyone though, I think we’ve tried hard to be light in our touch.

Perhaps you disagree, perhaps we failed. Perhaps singling out individual posters wasn’t the right approach in a general climate of heightened tension. But I sort of don’t want to get into a public discussion of how to give guidance, we’ve been down that road before.

We understand this is a controversial set of topics and we understand that the decisions taken about group formation could not possibly satisfy everyone no matter what decision was actually taken. Nevertheless it would be greatly appreciated if everyone could do their best to remain civil, to not deliberately cast aspersions, or bait, or engage in ad hominem attacks.

So please do take that into consideration, everyone. Let’s just move on, and resolve to be gentler going forward.

I’ve left the FUT set to just o-t.d but feel free to change it if you think there’s merit in discussing this further, or have feedback on how we can better serve the community in our administration and guidance.

Larry Pieniazek