 Off-Topic / Debate / 25927
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:19:36 GMT

   Explain why the actual act has been forced to take place privately. Are you for allowing public displays of sexual acts?

In the Western world, Victorian prudishness is the primary closeting force. But before I answer further, can you give me an ironclad reason why sexual acts must be private? And I caution you against such moral relativism as “society has decided they should be private” or such unverifiable statements as “God has decreed that they should be private.” Give me a solid, tangible reason why they should be private, and then I will answer your question.

   When people make private things public it is at the least embarrassing and at the most offensive.

It may be embarrassing or offensive to the viewer and not the practitioner, but that’s the viewer’s problem, not the practitioner’s.

Well, I think it’s both their problems.

No, you’re blurring the issue. The embarrassment is the problem of the viewer. If the viewer is unable to restrain himself from acting in a violent, childish, or repressive manner, then his reaction is also his problem.

   I would argue that some private things could also be quite beautiful when made public.

So what?

Didn’t you read your post? You’re claimed, with no specificity, that “when people make private things public it is at the least embarrassing and at the most offensive.” Lacking a disclaimer, your claim applies to all private matters, and my statement was a contradiction of yours.

   I think it your attitude regarding homosexuality most certainly affects the way you treat homosexuals,

How do you know how I treat homosexuals? If I don’t know that they are gay, how can I treat them differently?

“Don’t ask, don’t tell,” right? You’ve stated outright that the revelation of homosexuality will cause you to withhold respect from those who otherwise deserve it, in your eyes. Your calls for censure of homosexuals are how you treat them differently.

   and it strikes me as really bizarre that you can’t see it. You advocate the prohibition of gay marriage while insisting that gay marriage isn’t a “gay issue.”

Last time I will say this. It is a redefinition issue. Marriage is and always has been defined as the union between 1 man and 1 woman. Any 1 man is free to marry any 1 woman. We are starting to go in circles WRT this issue...

I surely hope it’s the last time you say it, because you’ve been saying it wrong for many months. Whether or not it is a “redefinition issue,” it is also a gay issue. Astonishingly, you reveal your exclusionary prejudice even here,

   the revelation of homosexuality causes you to treat homosexuals with less respect than they deserve.

It doesn’t cause me to treat them differently, I said it can cause me to treat them differently.

Why? Do you lack free will? Are you such a machine of input-output that you are doomed to pure, unfiltered reaction when faced with something aesthetically objectionable to you? Such an inability to control one’s responses sounds disturbingly like sociopathy to me.

You are explicity declaring that someone else should alter his behavior because you are unable to control yours.

   For instance, I find gay activist parades to be a diliberate snubbing and tweaking of heterosexuals.

Have you ever attended one? The fact that you feel so threatened by a festive and pointedly campy celebration of freedom is truly amazing.

   I wonder if there would still be such displays if everyone were gay? There wouldn’t, just as there are never heterosexual parades. And if there were a heterosexual parade, it would be to tweak homosexuals.

Most of American culture is a heterosexual parade, Will & Grace and Queer Eye notwithstanding.

If homosexuals were truly accepted by our culture (and not forced to hide themselves to protect your inability to control yourself), then of course there would be no need for such displays, but they might still happen. And anyway, so what?

   How can you claim not to treat gays differently, while you’re simultaneously asserting that you do treat them differently?

“Treat them differently”? Are you talking about my views on homosexual marriage again?

Yes, now that you mention it. But I was actually referring to your perception that your awareness of someone’s homosexuality causes you to treat that person differently.

   Maybe not everyone, but you’ve stated clearly that you want homosexuals to hide their sexuality in effect, to make themselves appear more like you.

Not just gays, but everyone. If we keep the private and intimate stuff private, then everybody wins, no?

To make everyone more like you, or perhaps just more generically alike? Where do I exit this crazy ride? That may equate to “everyone wins” in your world, but to many people, the repressive, anti-sexual fantasy land that you propose is not discernably different from full-blown dystopia.

   Well, if (such a group) is created and everyone ignores it, how does that make the hobby stronger?

It seems unlikely that everyone would ignore it. Almost all of LUGNET ignores ot.clone-brands, so do you assert that the presence of that forum does not contribute to the strength of the hobby?

It doesn’t contribute to strengthening the LEGO hobby AFAIC

No? Then you’d welcome clone-brand MOCs and clone-brand discussions in every LUGNET group? Would that contribute more directly to the strength of the hobby?

Besides which, it really doesn’t matter whether ot.clones contributes to the strength of the hobby in your opinion, because your opinion on the matter is hardly absolute or paramount. I don’t read the .robotics group, and AFAIC it adds nothing to the hobby, but others disagree. That’s how it strengthens the hobby and, frankly, the community.

Honestly, I wouldn’t have spent five years on LUGNET without the clone forum, because that’s the primary benefit I derive from the board (ot.debate aside). I believe I have contributed to people’s understanding of certain LDraw-related matters, and I even helped in the rendering of a Train poster. I’ve also effected transactions to help smooth the rough diplomatic waters between Australia and the US. These strike me as positive, though small, contributions to the strength of the hobby. Sure, they would likely have been fulfilled in my absence, but my contributions prevented other people from having to make those same contributions.

And I’m not making this a personal issue, either--I’m pointing out that the contributions of a person whose interests you do not share can add strength to the hobby/community in a way that would be absent if that person were absent.

   See, what is so disingenuous of you with that attitude is that everyone has certain flowers that they don’t want to see bloom.

What is truly disingenuous is the pretense that all potential groups are equally marginalized or repressed by the majority. However, I recognize that you fundamentally seem not to comprehend or acknowledge this.

You are correct. Are you saying that gays are particularily repressed?

Specificity, please. Particularly repressed relative to whom?

Dave!