 Off-Topic / Debate / 24823
Re: Color trends in industry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:04:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John Gerlach wrote:

   Let me get this straight - a bunch of people pay money to join an organization that tells me what colors I want?

Huh??

This is either the most brilliant science ever, or it’s a bunch of hooey.

I’m thinking it’s hooey!

I’m thinking it’s not since I knew someone (friend of a friend) who did exactly this. Either that or I’m pretty gullible. Or both.

   This kind of stuff makes my brain hurt... “Let’s try to convince people that they need to replace their (cloths / appliances / furniture / whatever) just because we tell them that these new colors are better!”

You seriously think that this sort of discussion doesn’t happen? Planned Obsolescence has been believed to be a factor in auto design since forever.

   If our favorite toy company believes this, we’re all in a world of hurt.

I think they do, at least sort of. About sets, anyway. I just hope not about colors.

But then I am not sure I think it’s necessarily all bad to drive fashion in directions if you can.

(left this in debate although the original post was reposted in color, since this is more of a largeish eeconomic issue but feel free to re-FUT)

++Lar