 Color / 422
Re: Color trends in industry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:53:39 GMT

In lugnet.color, Michael Huffman wrote:
Here's an interesting blog entry about color trends in industry:

<http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/005397.html#005397 Prophetable
colors>

I still haven't formed an opinion of the new color changes, but
I found this blog entry interesting...

[Quote:]
{Ive known people who think official color reassignments are a
conspiracy theory. The short answer is that they are a conspiracy,
but they arent theoretical. I submit as evidence the assigned
colors for <http://www.shoes.pe.kr/2004ss%20color.htm 2004>, 2003 and 2002.
And here are some recent specimens of the new range, to give you a better
idea of what they look like when in use.}

If you'd click on the 2004 link (it goes to a Korean page) & look about 1/2
down, the 'fresh' colors are a bluish-gray.  Hmm...

All color debate/conspiracy aside, I respect LEGO's business decisions.  But
I still find things like this blog entery interesting....

--Mike H.

Fascinating. Almost 20 years ago now, I met someone in NYC(1) whose official job
title was "color predictor". She was very up on what the expected fashionable
colors were likely to be 5 or 6 seasons ahead. "Brown is the new Black"(2) and
all that.

So this is definitely a real phenomenon. Whether LEGO changed because of fashion
trends is a different question. I tend to believe them when they say they wanted
to rationalise the palette. I don't think much of it but I believe them.

Thanks for sharing.

++Lar

1 - A friend of the life partner(3)(4) of my wife's uncle(5)
2 - Insert your favorite Parker Posey quote here.
3 - who owned a small men's fashion house.
4 - I sort of don't really like that term. Spouse, if you'd rather, i guess.
5 - who used to dress windows at Barneys, preserving his fashion connection.