 Off-Topic / Debate / 24582
  Re: Some wins for freedom from the Supremes

(...) (URL) David Hicks to serve any sentence in Australia>, these questionable detentions seem to be heading in the right direction. Let's hope the Military Tribunals do not end up being (URL) show trials>. ROSCO (20 years ago, 28-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Some wins for freedom from the Supremes

(...) Tony B.Liar may be up for re-election next year. His closeness to Bush has become a major electoral (URL). To mitigate this, he is trying show he is not 100% lapdog. As a result, the UK Attorney General noisily (and rightly) (URL) rejected> (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Some wins for freedom from the Supremes

(...) Yup. Indeed, as I understand it Australia is one of the few (perhaps the only) country with nationals involved who has NOT asked for them back. Apparently at the time our dudes did whatever undisclosed thing that they may at some stage be (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Some wins for freedom from the Supremes

(...) Gawd! If you're presenting an accurate view, that really is disgusting. They should have demanded their people back long ago. Chris (20 years ago, 29-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Some wins for freedom from the Supremes

I think it is time Oz re-joined the Empire. ;) Scott A (20 years ago, 29-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Some wins for freedom from the Supremes

(...) Some quick research turns up that I am a little out of date - he's been (URL) charged> now. Its an interesting document. The rest of the summary seems pretty much spot on. (URL) seems to have been more or less the state of play before the (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Some wins for freedom from the Supremes

(...) Well, Hussein hasn't been charged yet either, and it's arguable whether or not he will get a "fair & open" trial, but I find it amazing how the US is falling over itself to hand him over, while the Cuba detainees sit & wait for a tribunal that (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Some wins for freedom from the Supremes

(...) SH would have far too much to say. I'll eat my hat if we get to hear his defence before the US elections... Bush has too much to hide. (...) Yes. But they may have been asked to ask. ;) The (URL) ICRC> may have helped things along: "Washington (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Some wins for freedom from the Supremes

(...) Mmmm, and just when I was thinking that we should quit the allegiance to the Queen thingie, and get all republicy. Particularly me with my pro-Irish sentiments. It turns out that we have already essentially signed up as a US state (and a (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Some wins for freedom from the Supremes

(...) (Puts on pedantic hat again) I believe there has been at least one US citizen at said club, name of Jose Padilla, but maybe he has been moved? ROSCO (20 years ago, 30-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Some wins for freedom from the Supremes

(...) Not sure (URL) he> was ever there, but he's not there now... "In June 2003, Padilla was designated an enemy combatant at the order of President George W. Bush. As as result of this designation, he was removed from the U.S. criminal justice (...) (20 years ago, 1-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Some wins for freedom from the Supremes

(...) Bush Jr: "freedom is beautiful". Scott A (...) (20 years ago, 1-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Some wins for freedom from the Supremes

(...) Hmmmm appears I may have got some suspect intelligence on that one. ROSCO (20 years ago, 2-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)