 Off-Topic / Debate / 24516
  UN Gets It Right!

(...) That is a big "(URL)". But it looks like Bush will not get his way on this: (URL) War crimes immunity bid fails>-"For the past two years, I have spoken quite strongly against the exemption and I think it would be unfortunate for one to press (...) (20 years ago, 24-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: UN Gets It Right!

(...) Cool. I think our one-sided participation in the "world community" is messed up. We should either withdraw from the UN, strap on the six-guns, and do our thing. Or pay our dues, submit to things like world courts, and go along to get along. (...) (20 years ago, 24-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: UN Gets It Right!

(...) Yes. (...) Yes. (...) Yes, and ride on with our trusty sidekick Britain. (...) This is not possible and unconstitutional. (...) It is a farce, as exemplified by Sudan heading the human rights advisory council. One world order is a pipe dream (...) (20 years ago, 24-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: UN Gets it Right!

(...) I trust you do not mean that war crimes are constitutional? ;) (...) I'm sure many others would say Bush heading it would also be a "farce". After all, it is Bush's record on human rights which stopped him getting the ICC exemption extended. (...) (20 years ago, 24-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  One world order is a pipe dream (was Re: UN Gets It Right!)

(...) I love the imprecision of this :-) Perhaps 'it is not possible for the US to pay its dues' - and its not like the US doesn't have buckets of money, so presumably its debt to the world (personified in many ways by the UN) is overwhelmingly (...) (20 years ago, 25-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: One world order is a pipe dream (was Re: UN Gets It Right!)

(...) Your command of the obvious is impressive. Sorry I didn't snip the "or pay our dues" part; glad you found the "imprecision" amusing. Pettifogging makes boring conversation IMO. For instance if I were to rejoin by saying that your use of "its" (...) (20 years ago, 25-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: One world order is a pipe dream (was Re: UN Gets It Right!)

(...) You could well be right. I don't know who came up with it. I recall being a bit surprised myself the first time I heard it being applied in practice. Since then I have seen it work successfully on a factory floor, in a sales force, and in a (...) (20 years ago, 25-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: One world order is a pipe dream (was Re: UN Gets It Right!)

(...) Seriously, only a thinker could come up with such a strategy. (...) It is also commonly applied in classroom management and even juvenile delinquency rehabilitation. It's an awsomely powerful technique that reinforces the notion that kids will (...) (20 years ago, 25-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)