 Off-Topic / Debate / 24389
Re: Gay Marriage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:10:52 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   Why do you draw the limit at 2??? How do you feel about brothers wedding each other? How about a father, his adult daughter and adult son? How about mom, Oedipus and Fido? How can one argue against such unions while being in favor of same-sex marriages?

Good point! As long as no one is being harmed, they should go for it.

Then I guess we disagree.

I knew that. What I don’t know is why. Why are you opposed to those in particular?

   If it is your point that government shouldn’t respect marriage, why can’t you respect the notion that marriage is the union of 1 man and 1 women?

I can absolutely respect yor right to believe that and even to belong to an organization that believes that, such as a church. I would rather see marriage stricken from government entirely and left to religious institutions that can define it and limit it within their jurisdiction however they want. I’m not offended by some church not performing gay marriage, or allowing gay pastors, or whatever...it’s none of my business. But the law is.

   If all they really want is to be treated equally, then they should be arguing against endorsement, not trying to change marriage.

I suspect they realize that it’s a harder row to hoe. Or maybe, like you, they buy into the sacred institution of marriage, but just think it should apply to them too. I dunno, I don’t currently have any close gay friends to ping about it.

   This tack is stupid,

I don’t think so. They are merely attempting to achieve parity in the easiest way.

   causing great harm,

This has yet to be shown. At every turn you (and others who share your general stance with whom I’ve talked) refuse to point to this alleged harm.

   and is completely unnecessary.

But it’s approachable.

   That is, unless there are ulterior motives involved.

What are you suggesting? I can’t even fabricate a tasty conspiracy in my mind which is what you’re seeming to point toward.

Chris