 Off-Topic / Debate / 24388
Re: Gay Marriage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:01:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:

   Whoa there, bigot:-) What about all of the polygamists out there? And how about all of those incestuous lovers? Are you prepared to “normalize” those relationships as well? And if not, on what basis?

I think the legal line has to be drawn somewhere.

Does it? Why must marriage be a special case of contract?

   Take health care for example. You’re allowed to provide health care for your spouse, which is great if they wouldn’t otherwise get it. But as soon as you start getting into polygamy, you have to wonder where the line gets drawn. Provide health care for your 80 wives & husbands? That’s rather unfair to the insurance company, and people could take unnecessary advantage of such a lack of restriction.

I think that if polygamy became popular the insurance companies would have ways of covering their budgets worked out way before it mattered.

It is frankly startling to me that you’re using this bit of false pragmatism to justify essentially arbitrary restrictions on the way in which people associate. For what good cause?

   I suppose I might be able to be convinced that the limit should be *raised*, but not eliminated. I’m pretty comfortable with the idea of a single spouse.

Which limit? Do you mean that two wives is OK, but not fifteen? I’m really not getting that.

   Sisters marrying sisters; fathers marrying daughters and sons; recognizing those types of relationships really shouldn’t matter?

Y’know, I’ve thought about that one, and really I don’t see the problem. I think it’s always been the implication that there shouldn’t be inbreeding, and I agree that inbreeding gives unfair disadvantage to children born of such a relationship. But really that’s talking about procreation, not marriage. I think there should be laws against procreating (not necessarily *sex*, but procreation-- not sure how to enforce that one!) within close relation. But marriage? I guess if you really want to, I say go for it. And again, before they could enter into such a union, they’d have to be mutually consenting adults.

I grew up in a family that bred animals for fun and profit. I have personally managed the breeding of show cats, rats and fish. Backbreeding, the process of securing desirable traits by breeding offspring to parent is very, very common. Too much of it over too long a period can isolate/concentrate unpleasant genetic traits -- if they were there anyway. And hybrid vigor is very real -- I have rejected the cat fancy specifically because I think immoral breeding is strongly encouraged by the rules. But the effects a few generations of incestuous breeding are simply trivial. The stereotypical Kentuky holler’ inhabited by an extended family inter-breeding for a dozen generations would be bad (for them), but that’s a pretty extreme and rare case.

Chris