 Off-Topic / Debate / 24380
Re: Gay Marriage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:58:06 GMT

   I have no problem ending such inequities WRT to married couples verses gays. You don’t have to redefine marriage to correct those wrongs!

Don’t you? I mean, the way US laws are written, I believe there are rights provided to married couples that wouldn’t be to anyone under something like ‘civil unions’. Speaking of which, is that what you’re advocating? If so, how would a ‘civil union’ differ from a ‘marriage’ legally? Why not have all heterosexual couples enter into a civil union? What’s the perk of being ‘married’?

   Again, I agree. What consenting adults do isn’t my business (as long as it is legal).

But... aren’t you arguing that consenting same-sex adults shouldn’t get married? It’s legal now in Massachusetts; does that mean you don’t mind?

   Not the unions, but the standardization of such unions. I am primarily concerned with the education of our children. I think that such obfuscation of gender would be damaging and unnecessarily destructive to their development. ... If gay marriage became normative, say just another option, I see it as an extremely confusing matter to young kids. “Billy, when you grow up, are you going to marry a boy or a girl? Why a girl? What is wrong with a boy, Billy? Perhaps you should try both before you decide.” ... With the advent of MTV and shows like “Loveline”, I think we can dispense with any illusions that there is any secrecy left about sex for today’s teens.

I’m not sure I see the difference. The exposure that gays get in the media publicizes the idea of homosexuality PLENTY, even without allowing gays to get married or not. How can modifying the legal definition of marriage provide a level of gender confusion that it’d be stronger than the one that already exists?

Perhaps you mean to say that by modifying the legal definition, it’s as though the government is “endorsing” homosexuality, and that as such it’s sending a stronger message to kids? If so, I’d have to say the above point is still in effect. Kids don’t care so much what the government thinks, they care what popular culture thinks. But if it’s government endorsement that you want to avoid, then what about where courts have ruled in favor of gay rights? Isn’t that another form of endorsing homosexuality?

   Sex is a private matter to me. I don’t want to know your sexual preference because it doesn’t matter to me. So why is it so important to some gays to shove my nose into their sexuality? Gay parades? Please. Rainbow stickers? What is the point of that? There is something bizarre about defining oneself WRT to one’s sexuality. There’s a little more to life than sex!

I agree with what you’re saying here-- I’m not big on ‘Gay Pride’ and whatnot. If you’re gay, that’s fine, I really don’t mind, but you don’t need to go advertising it to me. But that’s not really my point. But obviously that can’t be the point because Gay Pride Parades and Rainbow stickers are going to continue happening regardless of whatever decision is made with respect to gay marriage. My question is where’s the negative side of allowing gays to marry?

   I’m curious-- I hear this time and again, that “Oh, that’s not what our founding fathers intended!”. Does it actually matter what they intended? Shouldn’t we do what’s right, and not what they wanted us to do? I mean, aren’t these the same guys who allowed slavery? If tradition is unjust or immoral, don’t we have a just or moral obligation to *change* that tradition?

How is defining marriage as the union of 1 man and 1 women “immoral”? That’s just crazy!

I’m not saying its immoral, I’m saying it’s unjust. Or, more to the point, a *legal* definition to that effect is unjust, because marriage entitles you and your spouse to certain rights, and disallowing those rights two same-sex partners is unjust. But the question still applies if a tradition is immoral (note I don’t think I’d call “laws” immoral, but “traditions” probably could be)

   Okay, here’s a utilitarian argument: If the definition of marriage is changed, then what does it become, and how is any definition (which, uh, by definition, limits the scope of the concept) justifiable?

I think the definition I’d go with is something along the lines of “any two adult beings

Whoa there, bigot:-) What about all of the polygamists out there? And how about all of those incestuous lovers? Are you prepared to “normalize” those relationships as well? And if not, on what basis?

I think the legal line has to be drawn somewhere. Take health care for example. You’re allowed to provide health care for your spouse, which is great if they wouldn’t otherwise get it. But as soon as you start getting into polygamy, you have to wonder where the line gets drawn. Provide health care for your 80 wives & husbands? That’s rather unfair to the insurance company, and people could take unnecessary advantage of such a lack of restriction. I suppose I might be able to be convinced that the limit should be *raised*, but not eliminated. I’m pretty comfortable with the idea of a single spouse.

   Sisters marrying sisters; fathers marrying daughters and sons; recognizing those types of relationships really shouldn’t matter?

Y’know, I’ve thought about that one, and really I don’t see the problem. I think it’s always been the implication that there shouldn’t be inbreeding, and I agree that inbreeding gives unfair disadvantage to children born of such a relationship. But really that’s talking about procreation, not marriage. I think there should be laws against procreating (not necessarily *sex*, but procreation-- not sure how to enforce that one!) within close relation. But marriage? I guess if you really want to, I say go for it. And again, before they could enter into such a union, they’d have to be mutually consenting adults.

DaveE