 Off-Topic / Debate / 24394
Re: Gay Marriage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:29:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   I think that if polygamy became popular the insurance companies would have ways of covering their budgets worked out way before it mattered.

It is frankly startling to me that you’re using this bit of false pragmatism to justify essentially arbitrary restrictions on the way in which people associate. For what good cause?

As I noted to Frank, if the system is set up to handle polygamy in a balanced way, then I’m all for it. My goal isn’t to restrict marriage in any way, but more to prevent people from abusing it as a legal loophole.

   I grew up in a family that bred animals for fun and profit. I have personally managed the breeding of show cats, rats and fish. Backbreeding, the process of securing desirable traits by breeding offspring to parent is very, very common. Too much of it over too long a period can isolate/concentrate unpleasant genetic traits -- if they were there anyway. And hybrid vigor is very real -- I have rejected the cat fancy specifically because I think immoral breeding is strongly encouraged by the rules. But the effects a few generations of incestuous breeding are simply trivial. The stereotypical Kentuky holler’ inhabited by an extended family inter-breeding for a dozen generations would be bad (for them), but that’s a pretty extreme and rare case.

Again, the only reason I bring it up is because I’m led to believe that inbreeding is damaging to the children produced by it, not to the participants (which is why I said sex without the procreation bit would be ok in my book, if not insanely difficult to enforce!). If you could show me that inbreeding isn’t any more harmful the resulting children, then, fine!

Of course I think that’s starting to get off the point. Point is I’m still fine with close relations getting *married*, just not procreating. (“Oh, please won’t somebody think of the children!”)

DaveE