 Off-Topic / Debate / 24395
Re: Gay Marriage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:35:40 GMT

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message
news:HzIL24.D99@lugnet.com...
If all they really want is to be treated equally, then they
should be arguing against endorsement, not trying to change marriage.

I suspect they realize that it's a harder row to hoe.  Or maybe, like you, • they
buy into the sacred institution of marriage, but just think it should • apply to
them too.  I dunno, I don't currently have any close gay friends to ping • about
it.

There is a lot of baggage associated with marriage that should be available
to any couple. The problem with something else is that you don't get
automatic rights and privileges. If you have a marriage certificate, you get
a lot of stuff automatically.

I have some personal friends, and I have some personal experience with what
happened when Portland opened the window briefly. When it became possible
for same sex couples to get married in Canada, several members of our church
were very quick to go up to Canada and get married. The announcements of
those weddings in church raised a goodly applause. The Sunday after Portland
(actually the county) started offering licenses to same sex couples happened
to be our annual youth service. When the list of people who had been married
was read off, the response was incredible.

To see some of the reactions couples who had been together 20+ years was
just incredible.

The big question in my mind is why should anyone have to fight to be treated
equally? Why is it so blasted hard to contract to have another person
responsible for your care if you are unable to make decisions (not that this
is automatic even with a marriage certificate, but that little certificate
buys you an awful lot, and you don't need to get a new certificate for
another state, powers of attorney and such are not as portable, if you can
even get them, if the hospital will even recognize them).

Frank