 Off-Topic / Debate / 24404
Re: Gay Marriage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 05:43:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

   Good point! As long as no one is being harmed, they should go for it.

Then I guess we disagree.

I knew that. What I don’t know is why. Why are you opposed to those in particular?

Practical and other utilitarian arguments aside, let’s just say they go against my religious belief system.

   If it is your point that government shouldn’t respect marriage, why can’t you respect the notion that marriage is the union of 1 man and 1 women?

I can absolutely respect yor right to believe that and even to belong to an organization that believes that, such as a church. I would rather see marriage stricken from government entirely and left to religious institutions that can define it and limit it within their jurisdiction however they want. I’m not offended by some church not performing gay marriage, or allowing gay pastors, or whatever...it’s none of my business. But the law is.

   If all they really want is to be treated equally, then they should be arguing against endorsement, not trying to change marriage.

I suspect they realize that it’s a harder row to hoe.

Life is hard; it’s no excuse. I’d say you may be correct and that that realization is irresponsible.

   Or maybe, like you, they buy into the sacred institution of marriage, but just think it should apply to them too.

Unfortunately, that is sacriledge.

   I dunno, I don’t currently have any close gay friends to ping about it.

Pity. I have heard more than a few gays speak out against this attack on the institution of marriage. They recognize that debasing marriage does no real good for gays, but merely to engender bitterness towards them.

   This tack is stupid,

I don’t think so. They are merely attempting to achieve parity in the easiest way.

It is going to blow up in their faces.

   causing great harm,

This has yet to be shown. At every turn you (and others who share your general stance with whom I’ve talked) refuse to point to this alleged harm.

This issue is going to split the Episcopalian Church in half.

   and is completely unnecessary.

But it’s approachable.

   That is, unless there are ulterior motives involved.

What are you suggesting? I can’t even fabricate a tasty conspiracy in my mind which is what you’re seeming to point toward.

Normalizing homosexuality/bisexuality as a lifestyle choice. Though I realize that many gays (especially men) are hardwired the way they are, I believe that sexuality is a lot less preset than once believed. Your attempt failed at a later stage in life; influences earlier on may have made the difference.

JOHN