 Off-Topic / Debate / 24405
Re: Gay Marriage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 05:52:11 GMT

   If it is your point that government shouldn’t respect marriage, why can’t you respect the notion that marriage is the union of 1 man and 1 women?

I can absolutely respect yor right to believe that and even to belong to an organization that believes that, such as a church. I would rather see marriage stricken from government entirely and left to religious institutions that can define it and limit it within their jurisdiction however they want. I’m not offended by some church not performing gay marriage, or allowing gay pastors, or whatever...it’s none of my business. But the law is.

The issue that I see is that the government (at least, the US federal one) does not recognize any other association for the purposes of financial gain. You can’t tell me that the institution of marrage is sacredly between 1 man/ 1 woman, for the rest of their lifes, when Brittany Spears is getting married & divorced in a day...I think that the institution of marrage as a religous function is fine. I have severe issues with the government not moving towards all civic marrages being called something else, with the rules being without bias. (read civic unions from the government for any grouping that is in a sexual, physical, emotional, supportive arrangement). If a insurance company doesn’t like it, then too bad, they can cover them all like dependants are now (you have 14 s/o’s? And they all Smoke? that’ll be $140 000 / year for your health insurance, thank you...based on our standard rate of $10 000/ s/o). You want to get married in a Catholic church? Guess what? You better be unmarried, be a man marrying a woman ect...If there are financial advantages to a marrage(civic union) (as there are currently), then it should be open to any grouping that is legal. (currently defined as 2...but that is because poligamy is rarer than being gay)

I think what is needed is a shift from the government using the word marrage at all. Use something else (lawful relationship, civic relationship, blue chease dip...I don’t care) to define the legal relationship within a group, and leave the word marrage to the churchs. Therefore, from now forward, I would be in a blue chease dip :) with my wife, not married to her (we were married in a civic cerimony, not at a church). If we wanted to be married, we would go to my handy church and get married (1).

James Powell

(1) Oh wait. I don’t have a handy church. Doesn’t go well with my uniform at all. Being the Religous Society of Friends & all that...