 Off-Topic / Debate / 24407
Re: Gay Marriage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:31:58 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

   causing great harm,

This has yet to be shown. At every turn you (and others who share your general stance with whom I’ve talked) refuse to point to this alleged harm.

This issue is going to split the Episcopalian Church in half.

Where’s the harm? From one side of the issue, they get to be rid of those disgusting deviants once and for all. From the other, they get to be rid of the backward, protruding-forehead, neanderthals that have been stifling progress. It sounds like a win-win. And all organizations go through periods of reorganization from time to time.

   That is, unless there are ulterior motives involved.

What are you suggesting? I can’t even fabricate a tasty conspiracy in my mind which is what you’re seeming to point toward.

Normalizing homosexuality/bisexuality as a lifestyle choice. Though I realize that many gays (especially men) are hardwired the way they are, I believe that sexuality is a lot less preset than once believed.

I think it should be normalized. And I think that gays should marry. And they’re related issues for me. But the former isn’t an ulterior motive for the latter. It just happens that people who believe in one are likely to believe in the other.

   Your attempt failed at a later stage in life; influences earlier on may have made the difference.

That’s an interesting point -- one that I’ve not explored. Maybe it’s a choice at one point in life, but not later. I don’t know. As I’ve mentioned, I was raised in a household that was very favorable to homosexuality. My parents were overtly supportive of the (less desirable) outcome that I would turn out to be homosexual and they had homosexual friends. And during puberty I fooled around with other boys in an experimental sexual nature (as is supposed to be common, but most people won’t put their name to). And after all that, I still ended up strongly heterosexual (and believe me, it feels pretty innate). I’m not all grossed out by the notion of performing sex acts with other men, but I wouldn’t do it for my own benefit.

Chris