 Off-Topic / Debate / 24232
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:49:59 GMT

Well, thanks for nothing, Don.  The reason I asked it here is because
I was hoping to learn what people in this forum think, rather than what
the distilled wisdom of the Internet has to offer.

Sorry, I just found it interesting that google returned this link:

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:ZxTwHLsCi9cJ:www.williambowles.info/spysrus/terror.html+movie+terrorist+strike+martial+law&hl=en&start=17

on the second page of my search for terrorist movie references.
Apparently that's where you get all your material.  It's got your
question, your cigar mag reference, everything.  And google corrolated
it with a bunch of blather about some silly movie.  That says something
to me.

Did you know kids are to watching the the latest Hollywood has to offer
for science class?  What do you think of that?

Are you talking about <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0319262/ The Day After
Tomorrow,> universally deplored by everyone with an iota of scientific
understanding?  I haven't heard that it's been used in science classes, but
if you have a link to a story, I'd be happy to read it.

I happen to know of a local high school Earth Science class who went
to see it for a field trip, but I don't know how the discussion went
afterwards.

Here's a UK link that talks about using the trailer.

  http://www.ase.org.uk/htm/teacher_zone/upd8/upd8_32/upd8_climate.php

"This summer's massive disaster movie 'The Day After Tomorrow'
goes on global release on 28 May. It dramatically (if not entirely
accurately!) brings home the tremendous dangers and costs of global
warming. This UPD8 activity shows how global warming causes
flooding, and gets students to devise a British flood strategy.
Students then present their strategies as manifestos aimed at
winning votes in upcoming elections."

I find the part about writing manifestos a bit unnerving.  Makes me
think of the unabomber.  Perhaps you could email them and ask for
a copy of their "manifesto template".  ;^)

I suppose it's probably too much of a liability these days to go out
and dig for fossils...

Don