 Off-Topic / Debate / 23648
Re: Another horrific story out of Fallujah
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 15:45:59 GMT

   Do we act as the voters of Spain and give in to the demands of the murdering terrorists?

We should definitely act as the voters of Spain! Let’s all vote to remove our deceitful, immoral, imperialistic, war-mongering administration from office.

   Or do we stand resolute, committed to completing the task we set out to accomplish just over a year ago?

If I understand Dubya’s agenda, he’ll be evacuating on June 30th out of fear. Granted, troops will remain in Iraq, but the withdrawal-at-all-costs is a cowardly tactic to protect Dubya’s re-election campaign at the expense of innocent Iraqis and Americans.

Worst of all: he’ll get away with it.

As a related aside, this was in Saturday’s Guardian (ie before yesterday’s uprising):

I have gone to the mosques and street demonstrations and listened to Muqtada al-Sadr’s supporters shout “Death to America, Death to the Jews”, and it is indeed chilling. But it is the profound sense of disappointment and betrayal expressed by a pro-US businessman running a Pepsi plant that attests to the depths of the US-created disaster here. “I’m disappointed, not because I hate the Americans,” Khamis tells me, “but because I like them. And when you love someone and they hurt you, it hurts even more.”

When we leave the bottling plant in late afternoon, the streets of US-occupied Baghdad are filled with al-Sadr supporters vowing bloody revenge for the attack on their newspaper. A spokesperson for Bremer is defending the decision on the grounds that the paper “was making people think we were out to get them”.

A growing number of Iraqis are certainly under that impression, but it has far less to do with an inflammatory newspaper than with the inflammatory actions of the US occupation authority. As the June 30 “handover” approaches, Bremer has unveiled a slew of new tricks to hold on to power long after “sovereignty” has been declared.

Bremer passed yet another law further opening up Iraq’s economy to foreign ownership, a law that Iraq’s next government is prohibited from changing under the terms of the interim constitution. Bremer also announced the establishment of several independent regulators, which will drastically reduce the power of Iraqi government ministries. For instance, the Financial Times reports that “officials of the Coalition Provisional Authority said the regulator would prevent communications minister Haider al-Abadi, a thorn in the side of the coalition, from carrying out his threat to cancel licences the coalition awarded to foreign-managed consortia to operate three mobile networks and the national broadcaster.”

...and some say this war is about “freedom”.

Scott A