 Off-Topic / Debate / 22574
(Re: It will be a long, hard slog) or, Why Christine Amanpour is My Girlfriend!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 03:08:38 GMT

Rumsfeld memo consistent with public views

http://cnn.usnews.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&expire=-1&urlID=8025233&fb=Y&partnerID=2004

“Rumsfeld has not characterized it that way in public, but Air Force Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has used similar words.”

This story is at the top of the page on CNN right now. And look at its insane, apologist slant. Yeah, Rumsfeld’s “memo is consistent with public views” alright -- those of other persons! What the...?

The article plays “bait and switch” --note the different meanings between the title and the second sentence of the “story” proper. Certainly we can give them greater latitude had the piece been labelled as an editorial or opinion piece. But no, it’s up there acting like real news. And let’s not forget how much this contradicts the administration’s version of how things would go in Iraq before the war began. Outrageous!

The “story” is an obvious attempt to diffuse the “hot potato” status of a leaked memo in which a high ranking member of Shrub’s White House team is admitting that we have already lost our way in Afghanistan, Iraq, and in the “War Against Terrorism”. Can you say “QUAGMIRE”?

Thanks the gods we had the courageous war correspondent Christine Amanpour point out to us some time ago that things at CNN were less than objective even at a stretch. This is but more proof in support of her previous comments.

The only glimmer of light here is that AT LEAST not all members of the White House staff are completely delusional. It’s almost refreshing to see this crack in the “we’re always right!” facade. The memo is a bald admission that they -- The White House Administration -- have, indeed, been so very wrong all along.

-- Hop-Frog