 Off-Topic / Debate / 22573
Re: Iraq (was Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 02:40:07 GMT

   See, it’s the possible reducing of deaths that is my main drive. If there are laws on the books that cause deaths, and by changing the laws, or the interpretation thereof, and in that changing we can reduce the number of deaths, then I’m all for it.

I agree if there were laws or even constitutional rights that caused the deaths of innocent life I would be all for removing them too. Of course removing the right of law abiding citizens to have weapons does not reduce the crime rate, even though you claim it does. There is no proven correlation between firearm ownership and the crime rate.

   Especially when that change doesn’t diminish freedoms and liberties. And no discussion here, or anywhere else, has convinced me that if you take away the guns, you reduce the liberties.

And I’d even say that you don’t have to take away the guns of those that have to undergo the same “or slightly inferior” discipline and use as the armed forces. What more do you want? It’s a better interprtation of the framers intent than what I’ve heard here.

Again I must point out that there are more people in formally declared militia groups (which means they have M-16s, SMLs, etc. and train to use them) then there are people in the U.S. professional military.

   As for the rest, someone once said to me that “‘Mericans want their guns in defiance of all logical and rational debate”. You, sir, have proven them right.

You have this optimistically idealistic belief that removing guns will make everything better, but you have no proof of that at all. I personally will agree that if you could eliminate every gun from the planet you would be right, but you must surely see that is impossible to acheive.

-Mike Petrucelli