 Off-Topic / Debate / 22384
Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap in California)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:14:05 GMT

   The silly notion that Christianity is somehow superior to our government and other religions.

Again you confuse me. Superior in what way?

If I may wager a guess, I would infer that you yourself identify Christianity (specifically, the version to which you adhere) as superior (for you) in some way to all other faiths and non-faiths. If it were not, then why would you follow your particular faith in preference to any other? I mean, I can’t imagine that you’d ever say “I chose my faith because it is inferior to all others.” To that end, you must in some way perceive it to be superior, so your question to Mike becomes a trifle disingenuous.

No, because his statement is hopelessly vague and unclear. How can you compare a religion with a government? It’s apples and oranges. But you are absolutely correct that I believe Christianity is superior to other religions for me. I know (in a faith sense) that Christianity is a path to salvation. There may be others; there may be not-- that I don’t know.

   Well you were talking about legal marragies. Social mores, culture, and values have no legal basis. The government can not enforce them as laws or they are in violation of the first amendment.

Again with the confusion. Laws just don’t pop up out of thin air. They are based on the morality and sensibility of a given society or culture.

But laws aren’t immutable, nor should they ever enshrine one group’s morality in perpetuity. In fact, rather than reflecting the morality or sensibility of the culture, laws generally reflect the agenda of the group currently in power. If this happens to coincide with society’s morality (whatever that may be), then that’s convenient, but it’s hardly essential.

   As this is a government institution, constitutionally it must be offered to anyone regardless of their religious beliefs.

Again, the government doesn’t “recognize” religious marriages; only civil marriages. That society chooses to uphold civil unions between a man and a woman is a cultural preference, not a religious one.

   This is not a religious issue, but a cultural issue.

Alas, I believe that you are insincere in making this distinction, because you have repeatedly declared this to be a nation founded on Judeo/Christian morality.

I would point to the many who would claim to be not Christian or Jewish that would uphold this preference.

   Here, for example, you identify God language as a reflection of patriotism.

Whereas here you declare that Christianity has been intimately involved with this nation since its inception, apparently to indicate the propriety of including Christian principles in the crafting of legislation.

I wasn’t trying to show that Judeo-Christian principles were used to frame the Constitution, just that they were the basis from which the principles were derived. They are not the same. One would presume to establish a Theocracy, one not.

   Later in that same thread, you proclaimed that we are most certainly *not* a secular nation.

In the sense that we were not formed in a vaccuum beyond the influence of the Judeo-Christian heritage, as say Russia was. Russia was founded as a secular nation.

   From these three quotes, and from the general history of your postings, I conclude that you do not truly believe the laws of the United States to be free of religious intent or agenda, whereas US law and the US government by charter is required to be areligious.

There isn’t religious intent or agenda in these laws; only that morality based on the Judeo-Christian heritage influenced their creation. I agree that laws should be areligious. I state unequivocally that I would not like to see Christianity be our state religion. I am only trying to get you all to realize that our very formation was influenced heavily from the morality and values derived the Judeo-Christian heritage. You may think that that was a mistake, but that is the way it was and is.

   Conservatives commonly go out of their way to erode the distintion between the secular Constitution and the religious sentiments of the far-right.

I see our FF engaged in this type of blurring from day 1! There has been praying in Congress for 100s of years. Our currency, our “God language” (from our very first document, the DoI).

   It is either shortsighted or deliberate prevarication to assert that the ban on gay civil unions has been fairly treated as the secular legal issue that it really is.

The fact is that we as a society need to draw the line (legally) somewhere. Perhaps you would care to defend someone’s “right” to marry their sister or brother?

   I don’t care if those buildings are leveled tommorow. The principles for which they are supposed to stand, are indestructable despite the best efforts of the government to the contrary.

All righty then. At least now I see where you are coming from. Many Americans actually do care if those monuments are preserved. I would characterize your attitude here as “unamerican”.

If by “unamerican” you mean “uninterested in the idolatrous worship of buildings, banners, and documents,” then I happily declare myself unamerican. Actually, I expect that you’re using “unamerican” in this context to mean “in contast with the majority opinion on certain issues.” To that end, you were “unamerican” to vote for Dubya.

   Anyway, Mike is exactly right on this point. The buildings are not central to the principles that they memorialize, and the loss of those buildings wouldn’t affect the underlying principles in the least. However, when a person or group works to enshrine religion in a public building or in law, then that person is rendering that building or law inconsistent with the US Constitution, specifically with the 1st and 14th amendments.

   And yet all of these laws and restrictions do indeed exist in our society. I seriously doubt that our society (or any society for that matter) could survive with such freedom. With freedom comes responsibility; responsibility comes from morality; morality comes from religion.

You may believe that, but it’s hardly a fact. Great atrocity also comes from religion, as Hop-Frog has already aptly shown from the actual text of actual scripture.

So what do you conclude about that? That religion is bad or evil? Shoot the messenger, not the message.

   I am 100% atheist; do you therefore assert that it is impossible for me to have non-religion-based morality?

Eventually, yes. I believe that there is no compelling reason to be good without God.

   I would also assert that God as portrayed in the text of the Old Testament is hardly a moral paragon, and I’m not even sure that Jesus is as moral as many other people. Socrates, for example, or Ghandi, just to name two.

God is holy, mysterious, and good. Characterizations of God other than that are at best inaccurate.

   So although our society’s values aren’t based on a particular religion, it is based on morality derived from religion (in particular Judeo-Christian).

And Judeo-Christian myth is derived from pre-existing pagan tradition; should we therefore open our legislative sessions with blood sacrifices to those pagan gods?

Specious, and no (unless you mean we hoist the bloated teddy whale onto the altar;-)

   “Derived from” does not mean “wholly beholden to.” I think we as a society will have made real progress once we can divorce ourselves from the fiction that selective quotiation of 2000+-year-old myths are the best foundation for morality, society, or law.

How is this possible without the wholesale erradication of religion? Or do you feel that this would be a Good Thing®? I believe that religion keeps man from the brink of chaos and gives us meaning in life. Without it, we are lost and doomed to self-destruction.

JOHN