 Off-Topic / Debate / 17548
Re: TJ acknowledged a Creator in DoI (was: Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:50:20 GMT

How do you feel about having a very limited understanding of TJ's beliefs?

This has been asked and answered before, John.

No, Richard, it hasn't.  I am not arguing that TJ was a Christian or any
such thing.  What I am saying is that he acknowledged a Creator-- Prime
Mover, God, Nature's God-- whatever you want to call it.  And it is from
this entity that our inalienable rights originate.  I want the atheists to
deal with that.

*My* Creator [sic] is a one-word summation of the process of evolution
and, more directly, of human biological reproduction.

That is your interpretation.  That's good.  Now we both can live with it.

I can point you to
various links explaining how my mother and father conceived me, but I expect
from your previous postings that you'd find them obscene and would call for
their removal.

How would you know-- you weren't there yet;-)

Having said all that, and since you still haven't in any way demonstrated
that "under God" is a non-religious statement, nor have you demonstrated
where in the US Constitution there is any mention of "God," I would remind
you yet again that the Declaration of Independence is NOT a document of
United States law

Neither is the pledge.  Neither is our currency.

and is thus irrelevant to the issue of Constitutional
church/state separation.

Once again for those who are prone to reading into things that which isn't
there-- this has nothing to do with Christianity, so kindly stop obfuscating
by interjecting it <text snipped>.

The initial issue of "under God" is expressly Christian, so stop trying to
steer the dicussion away from the elephant in the room.

It may be *implicitly* Christian, but the actual wording "under God" by itself
is vague.  "Under Jesus Christ" would be expressly Christian.  So stop bringing
that animal into the room where it doesn't belong.

As I have argued before, I really think that God language is a reflection of
patriotism rather than a religious proclamanation.  The phrase "God bless
America" really is an ultimate expression of hope for all the best for our
country. "God bless" is an expression of goodwill.  To take it any other way
would be pugnacious.

-John