 Off-Topic / Debate / 17558
Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:03:18 GMT

I singularly hate the clossosal arrogance of those that believe God has
singled out any nation as most blessed or most (self-) righteous.  I don't
care who says it: England, Japan, America, France, Israel, Iran, etc.
Confusing arrogance with patriotism gives patriotism a bad name (there is
always the implication that if you have a problem with the "under God", you
must not be patriotic).

Sounds pretty bigotted. Why not just say they are wrong or misguided?

How many senators last year on 9-11 sang along with "God Bless America" who
were atheists?  A lot.  Why?  Because it was the patriotic thing (if not
politically wise) to do.

Under the circumstances, the national anthem would have been more
appropriate by far.

Disagree.  I'll bet you 99 out of 100 people would disagee with you.

And let's face it.  This whole hubbub is politics.  Michael Newdow has
issues. There's no tyranny or persecution going on-- if anything I'd say
that Christianity itself is being persecuted.

Inasmuch as Christianity is attempting to inflict itself on everyone (they
couldn't stand that the pledge of allegiance didn't reference God, as just
one example, and had to change it), I think it is the other way around.

Christianity has been intimately involved with this nation since its inception.
The inflicting is being done by the secular left.

So I say to atheists-- let the misguided be.  It's all a bunch of hooey
anyway; why let it bother you?  Think of it as Nationalism (which I believe
much of it is), or is it with Nationalism that you all have a problem?

I have a problem with defining Nationalism only in religious terms.

I'm just afraid that if atheists like Newdow keep pressing these issues,
there is going to be a nasty backlash that nobody wants to see.

No, because Christians kept pressing their agenda, you are seeing the
backlash *now*.

We seem to disagree as to which way the wind is blowing.  The backlash is
against liberalism-- America is most definitely moving to the *right*.

-John