 Off-Topic / Debate / 22180
Re: What's Good for the Goose....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:56:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   As long as the school clubs aren’t talking about racial intolerance towards any other group, who cares if they form or not. Saying you can have a ‘black members only’ club on campus but not a ‘white members only’ group is racist. Why can’t that be understood?

Dave K

This illustrates why I think essentially social clubs shouldn’t be sanctioned by high schools - the reason the minority clubs formed is because whites wouldn’t let them into any of the already established clubs. Perhaps the whole idea is obsolete, anyway (but I can tell you that I saw college fraternities excluding non-whites). Having a “white” club is redundant, but technically no more silly than a black club - if any and all clubs really are open to anyone.

But just banning the whole lot of them would be my preference.

Agreed.

   And John, I didn’t see where the article said anything about the NAACP calling anyone racist.

“A local NAACP leader said Lisa McClelland’s proposed club smacks of racial division”.

Accusing someone of creating “racial division” is akin to calling them “racists” IMO. The entire quotation is, in the final analysis, the pot calling the kettle, er, black.

JOHN