 Off-Topic / Debate / 22150
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:14:50 GMT

   Give arguements for having a gun in your house today. I’ve refuted every one.

In what way have you refuted every argument. This point you have about guns no longer serving a military use seems entirely specious. So specious that I think most people reading it are thinking to themselves, “Ugh, why bother trying to argue with someone convinced of that?”

Are we not armed with gun-like weapons in Iraq?

Frankly, what the hell are you talking about?

   And 25,000 folks a year won’t have to die just so the gun owners can have their false security.

Tell it to the people that fended off the Nazis in the Warsaw Ghetto, Kooties.

Tell it to the Iraqis who may soon be trying for a little more freedom than they have had of late. I’m pretty sure that armed rebellions are built on guns.

It’s your assertion that semi auto AK-47s, easily made fully auto, would be worthless? I don’t happen to own one, but I know more than one person that does.

You are blithely skipping over still living history as if the blood of the many could be washed over by your pointedly ignorant words. Again, I ask you: what the hell are you talking about?

Prove to me that higher level rifles, shotguns, and semi-autos are going to be worthless should an insurrection occur.

7,318,638 Swiss are just dead wrong, eh? The Swiss that intelligently stay out of almost every international fracas. They are certainly as non-violent as they can be. They are every bit as armed to the teeth as are americans.

Try this one (I just happened upon it by accident):

Gun Control: Myths and Realities http://www.cato.org/cgi-bin/scripts/printtech.cgi/dailys/05-13-00.html

6. Lower murder rates in foreign countries prove that gun control works.

False. This is one of the favorite arguments of gun control proponents, and yet the facts show that there is simply no correlation between gun control laws and murder or suicide rates across a wide spectrum of nations and cultures. In Israel and Switzerland, for example, a license to possess guns is available on demand to every law-abiding adult, and guns are easily obtainable in both nations. Both countries also allow widespread carrying of concealed firearms, and yet, admits Dr. Arthur Kellerman, one of the foremost medical advocates of gun control, Switzerland and Israel “have rates of homicide that are low despite rates of home firearm ownership that are at least as high as those in the United States.” A comparison of crime rates within Europe reveals no correlation between access to guns and crime.

Interestingly, those same Israelis seem to have a problem with homemade explosives strapped to people bent on suicide! If they should go to meet their maker taking out some Israelis in a nightclub -- well, so much the better for them, eh? I’m not advocating it, I’m not supporting it or the aims of the persons that would do such a crazy thing. I am saying it can be done, that is all. When people have the intent to kill each other a way to accomplish it can be found -- however loathsome the means for achieving their goals may be.

You do not know what you are talking about when anyone can see that you are pointedly ignoring simple and obvious facts of recent history.

I think there are many things at work in the high incidents of violence in the U.S. -- for one thing a lot of people come here from all kinds of different places and that’s a lot of people not quite understanding each other’s culture very well. Look how quickly many americans have reflexively and ignorantly turned against even American Muslims!

I’d say intolerance was a greater enemy to the peace than the guns in my neighbors’ homes. Intolerance goes to motive. Having motive, people find the means to achieve their ends.

And me with my hunk of metal? My hunk of metal has never harmed a single living thing. It has never been used by me for anything but practice marksmanship. I hope it is never used for anything more than that. I am about as non-violent a person as you are likely to meet. I am as anti-war as it is reasonably possible to be; some might even consider me unreasonably pacifistic. It is also the case that I’m just not stupid enough to give up my guns.

-- Hop-Frog