 Off-Topic / Debate / 22149
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:17:28 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

   Well that is the price of freedom; you have a 0.00004 percent chance that you will be killed by some random lunatic with a gun. So this only confirms my previous analogy of trying to save one’s little finger by chopping off one’s legs.

You’re trying to save your little finger by allowing 25 thousand of your fellow citizens to die violent deaths, just so you can have a piece of metal in your house.

I belive the actuall number you wanted was 11,071. The other 16,586 are suicides. So you are slightly more likely to commit suicide with a gun than get shot by one. Regardless suicides only affect those that pull the trigger much like the smoker. So anyway... You are avocating saving the little finger of society (the 11,071 people shot by abusers of freedom) by chopping off its legs. (removing that which preserves freedom, the armed citizenry)

I deny the validity of that point--an armed citizenry was valid for preserving freedom in the 18th century against a king who wanted to take that freedom away, but for those of us living in a long running democracy, now in the 21st century, armed citizens *do not* preserve the freedom. You haven’t needed a gun to vote.

Well, that’s because I try to vote for people I won’t have to shoot! Of course, having a peaceful alternative to shooting is always an advantage (if we can recall Davis, why not Bush! is my battlecry). :-)

   Your pappa didn’t need a gun to vote,

Wrong - though perhaps you a refering to not needing a gun to vote due to an internal threat (my father, Phillipines 1945, my uncle, Guadalcanal, 1942). I’d say it came close with McCarthy, though. I rather imagine that some blacks of my father’s generation might disagree, too, and with a great deal of justification, even though I agree with the peaceful route of Rev. Dr. MLK, Jr.).

your great
   granddaddy didn’t need a gun to vote.

Timing. I think it was great-great-or-one-more-great grandfather that did (Civil War - um, and yes, that means what is implied, the idiot).

Not in this century (3 years old) nor
   the previous century, did you need a gun to defend your right to vote, to defend your democracy from your fellow citizen, to defend America from Americans.

See comments above regarding blacks.

Your gun in your house takes away the freedom of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness of 25 thousand individuals per year.

Well, technically, they met your approval at some point since I inherited them from my Grandfather (oh, dang, add him to the list, WWI and WWII) who was a police office and special investigator for the State of California.

I’ll even grant you the ‘suicide clause’ and knock that number to 11,000. Does the violent homicidal deaths of 11,000 people equal your right to keep a gun in your house?

Honestly, I think the attitude of the country must change more than the gun ownership. With an attitude change, then perhaps the perceived need for a gun would dwindle.

For me, the answer is a resounding no, for I like my fellow citizens too much to play with their lives on the *no* chance that my gun will be used sometime in a future generation (even though it hasn’t been needed in the past couple of generations) to “protect” my freedoms.

Just so long as you realize that mail service to Gulags is spotty (oh, cheap shot by me, oh dang, gun term...see what I mean about the defective American attitude). :-)

Just admit that you want the gun for no valid rational reason except for personal wants and desires. You want the gun so you can talk about ‘brain lead’ and ‘outta my cold dead hands’. Admitting that is the first step.

I just like shooting tin cans. Must be a power-trip thing: V-8s and .500 caliber magnums - the American Way.

Pushrods, you understand, and no metric measurements. Dang furriners. ;-)

-->Bruce<--