 Off-Topic / Debate / 22013
Re: "CHRISTMAS THROUGH THE EYES OF A CHILD" CONTEST
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 23:00:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Rick Clark wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Gregory wrote:
<snip>
Personally, I'm not building anything
for the contest just because I'd have to glue my stuff together if I made it
to the finals.  (Do they REALLY expect people to do that!?)

Er, isn't that a more reasonable expectation than asking people to travel to St.
Louis to rebuild their MOC that has been shaken apart in transit?

Depends on the contest budget, I suppose. A really high budget contest would fly
all the finalists out and they could rebuild their MOCs on arrival. (this one
isn't that high budget, given that finalists get 250 as their prize)

Another alternative that they did not offer was to allow people to take the risk
of sending unglued stuff, and optionally include instructions or pics that would
be sufficent for someone well versed in LEGO to rebuild, with the caveat that if
it wasn't rebuilt correctly that wasn't the contest's fault.

As one who has transported many MOCs to many shows, I can attest that it is
exceedingly rare for an unglued MOC to arrive intact, no matter the packing
technique. And to ask non-LEGO builders to try to rebuild a MOC that has fallen
apart is, well, I'll just say it's pretty hard for me to rebuild my OWN broken
MOCs sometimes.

Nod. Some of mine are like that too.