 Off-Topic / Debate / 21904
  Re: Newsbits: CA Recall

(...) Come again? Wasn't California part of Mexico in a not-so-distant past? (...) Are you fully aware of how xenophobic that paragraph is, Scott? "Give me your POOR, your oppressed, your hungry..." I guess the words below Miss Liberty are only (...) (21 years ago, 15-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Newsbits: CA Recall

(...) Sure, over 100 years ago, before a war was fought and the area was in essence sold to the US. (...) I feared when I made my post that I would be called a racist, however as a grandchild of immigrants who followed legal chanels to become (...) (21 years ago, 15-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Newsbits: CA Recall

(...) Well-said. This country was built on immigration--I'm second-generation American myself. Legal immigration should be cheap, if not easy (we value dearly what we acquired dearly). Immigration should be for the purpose of becoming an American (...) (21 years ago, 15-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Newsbits: CA Recall

(...) The sold portion is small when compared to the conquered portion, as you know. In any case, the main cities are not called St Francis, The Angels, or Sacrament: so you can't deny that Mexico has shaped what you know as California now. If (...) (21 years ago, 15-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Newsbits: CA Recall

(...) I really can’t argue with that, you are quite correct, although I lived for a while in a city called La Habra, I still have no idea what that was supposed to mean in Spanish, Abra I think (...) I looked xenophobic up on dictionary.com to (...) (21 years ago, 15-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Newsbits: CA Recall

(...) I regret to say I don't know any more than you on this, the word is unfamiliar to me. Rest assured, I'll look into it and let you know ASAP what I find. (...) You're guessing correctly: racism is based on race, xenophoby on passport (to put it (...) (21 years ago, 16-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)