 Off-Topic / Debate / 2154
Re: Latter Day Saints (was:Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 11:27:49 GMT

   Here is Moz' original post that I was referring to:
No. Theft is at the core of Christian beliefs. For starters the
prohibition

   Read what Moz wrote.  Repeat it again.  Theft is at the core of Christian
beliefs.  The Church (and almost any religion) was *founded* for the purpose
of stealing money from the multitudes for the purpose of making the people
who run it very rich - that it is why it was created.  This is the same as
any government that has ever been formed (even the US').  The motive behind
these institutions is evil, while the rhetoric appeals to the strongest
emotions we have (like security, charity and justice).  Even though, now, in
the US, it is a choice to belong to a church, it can be very difficult to
throw off 2,000 years of tradition - so the church (which is losing members
at an overwhelming pace, fortunately) continues to steal from its faithful
followers.  I don't dislike Christians for belonging to churches, but I
don't like people (who run churches, and governments) that steal from
others, especially in the name of something which is supposed to be "good."

What's wrong with a church which you CHOSE to belong to setting
requirements on that belonging? As far as I am aware, there is nothing
in the U.S. (and most European countries) REQUIRING you to belong to a
church. WHy shouldn't the church collect momey to support itself, in
fact, you are "stealing" if you wish to avail yourself of the churches
services without contributing to that church (of course if the church
feels you are "deserving" of charity, then they may chose to extend
those services to you without cost, or for a reduced cose).

  Hey, its your choice, foolish as it may (or may not) be.

Now the church of old is a different story.

   Less different than you seem to think, IMO.

Only if you grant "the church"/"god" the power condemn you to hell. If
you don't grant this power, then you needn't let the church "steal" from
you. If you do grant this power, then it seems to me that you accept the
premise of that church, and should then accept the requirement to
contribute.

  The people who don't grant that power don't belong to churches.  I can't
speak for those who belong to churches - I honestly don't understand why
they do.

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com