 Off-Topic / Debate / 21320
Re: Revisionists...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:25:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello wrote:
   Now Bush rubs the Dem’s the wrong way...

There’s an infinity of difference between lying about Oval Office Oral and the creation of a war and lying about the basis of that war. Frankly, I think it’s sickening that you can’t see a difference.

If you could take your confrontational partisan hat for just a second and re-read my last post you would see that I was actually criticising Republicans in congress who are currently playing politics as usual, by blocking attempts at an investigation. I merely used Clinton because he was our last Democratic leader and when in office the Democrats danced the same dance. Either way I always find it frustrating when partisism takes precidence over what is good and right.

   On the one hand, a manipulative woman got her hands into the president’s trousers. On the other hand, many young americans and many more Iraqis died. Yeah. those things are prefectly equal in magnitude -- NOT!!!

Look the situation is over so you can drop the DNC sound bytes. It should be common knowledge that Clinton was persued and impeached for felonious perjury, not his sexual indiscressions.

   I agree that there should be a full investigation needs to be launched, and care needs to be given to the sensitivity of classified information.

Why? If the war is over and all of our information was bogus, what is there left to hide except the lies?

   Ultimately the question that needs to be answered is if people are going to die, based on intelligence reports how do we ensure that those reports are 100% accurate?

Maybe they shouldn’t die on information alone -- maybe we need to wait until the circumstances are obvious and the evidence bona fide.

Are you advocating that we should have just sat on our hands and waited until we were in fact attacked? Isn’t that what people are criticising Bush for concerning 9/11. On one hand we should have acted preemptively to stop the Al-Quaida attack, but then we should wait until Iraq attacks.

   There’s a due diligence factor in play here -- and Shrub simply did not take every reasonable precaution to confirm the evidence upon which he based his call to war. He rushed to judgement and forced everyone along with him with boldfaced lies.

As you said, the buck stops in the oval office.

Due diligence.

I definately agree that the buck stops with Bush, and it should. However I cannot see how his actions were a rush, the intelligence that Bush used has been around for a while. It was the basis for Clintons 98 attack (without consulting congress or the UN), it was the basis for resolution 1441 and was generally agreed upon by most leaders, including France. Sadam refuted what the intelligence said and Blix was sent to verify. Upon the completion of his investigation (no he wasn’t finished looking, but the alloted time was up) he determined that Iraq wasn’t completely honest and compliant.

Now that the intelligence is in question, aren’t the UN and Blix’s actions in question also? The whole economic embargo was based on this intelligence. Was this intelligence bad? We don’t know yet, but if it was, more heads than just Bush’es should roll. And if it is good, should we hold Chirac to the same standard?

Scott C.