 Off-Topic / Debate / 20935
Re: Saudi Arabia is starting to "Get it"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 17:13:31 GMT

http://www.arabnews.com/Article.asp?ID=26165

This is very encouraging.

John,
will you cite any rag which supports your [narrow] point of view?

Will you characterize any source with which you disagree as a "rag"?

You assume I disagree?

Have you read
the other items on that site? Are they "very encouraging" too?

Tangental.

I'll take that as a "no". I must confess to liking this:
http://www.arabnews.com/Cartoon.asp?ArY=03&ArM=05&ArD=21
http://www.arabnews.com/Cartoon.asp?ArY=03&ArM=05&ArD=13
http://www.arabnews.com/Cartoon.asp?ArY=03&ArM=04&ArD=28
http://www.arabnews.com/Cartoon.asp?ArY=03&ArM=04&ArD=26

Perhaps the US and Israel *aren't* the root of all
evil after all....

What would you say is the "root of all evil"? Greed? Power? Religious
extremism? Envy?

The point is that it *isn't* the US and Israel for Muslims.  I would say that
the root of Islamic terrorism (and the evil in this war on terrorism) is the
Wahabis' extreme interpretation of Islam.

Do you have any evidance which supports that? WW2 was largly a christian
effort; the result was 60 million dead.

Extreme interpretations of Islam are a problem. Likewise for other religions.
Your country has a record of supporting such groups; don't forget that!

Getting back to your root of evil/terrorism; why is it that Islamic radicalism
is such a modern problem? Is it because:

1) we [the west] gave many of the current Islamic nations such a hard time in
the last century?
or
2) Muslims are just a bunch of "hot-heads" looking for a fight?

The only way to win the "war on terror"  is to fight the cause; not the
symptom. I'm not convinced the conquest of Iraq did either...

Scott A