 Off-Topic / Debate / 20905
20904  |  20906
Subject:
Tax relief?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 23:35:14 GMT

Alright, time for me to stop defending this administration and to voice my
opposition. It looks like tax relief is finally going to be passed, and from
the looks of it there will be some tax relief across all brackets. Those are
the good things, I am of the old philosophy that there is no such thing as a
bad tax cut. However, this tax cut exemplifies to me what is really wrong
with the entire system. Why do we need a tax system that is so complicated
that we have to hire a professional to figure it out for us. I have been
going over this new relief, and I have to tell you it is as complicated and
convoluted as anything I have ever seen. Neither Republicans nor Democrats
never try to truly fix it, they just patch holes.

Now that it looks like it is finally going to pass, Democrats will claim
that it only benefits the rich, and that is partially true, but since the
rich pay the majority of the taxes, I don’t see how it could be otherwise.
Republicans will claim that it is not large enough and doesn’t do enough to
stimulate the economy, and they are partly right too. Republicans are
currently in the drivers seat, holding the presidency and the legislative
branch at the same time, they should be able to advance their agenda,
instead they put forth this tax cut that is both tiny and temporary. I don’t
want to update or revise the system; I want a complete reset. Scrap the
existing system and start with something simpler that makes sense to the
common person. Perhaps a flat tax, perhaps a national sales tax, I am not
sure exactly what the solution should be, but I do know that it should not
be status quo.

Will the government continue to take in as much revenue as it currently
does? I sure hope not. The next piece to this puzzle is to make major deep
cuts in governments spending on programs and foreign aid. Get the public
sector completely out of the business of health care, insurance, social
security, utilities, and all other things it does less effectively than the
private sector. Put a moratorium on all foreign aid, especially to countries
that hate us.

All these changes would be dramatic, and could not be made overnight, but we
need to start moving in that direction. American Government is like a
monster from a Japanese horror movie, it just continues to get bigger and
bigger until it is unmanageable.