 Off-Topic / Debate / 20910
Re: Tax relief?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 06:12:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes:

<snip>

Now that it looks like it is finally going to pass, Democrats will claim
that it only benefits the rich, and that is partially true, but since the
rich pay the majority of the taxes, I don’t see how it could be otherwise.

The extravagantly wealthy have access to loopholes and other measures that
negate their taxes. See previous postings in this forum by yours truly.

Exactly, which is why I want to see the system changed so that it is so
simple, fancy accounting would have no place in escaping taxation. I
personally lean more toward the flat tax system, but would be open to other
simmilar options.

The real problem with a flat tax is that lower income lose out the most.  To
a person making $20,000 a year, 10% means a lot more than it would to a
person making $200,000 a year.  I don't know what a viable alternative might
be though.

-Orion

<snip>