 Off-Topic / Debate / 20866
  Pagans and Xtians (was Re: Sex Scandal etc)

(...) In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes: (...) Easter and Xmas are both originally pagan holidays. You might as well be worhshipping some ancient fire god like some of the peoples mentioned in the OT (at one point Abraham, prior to (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pagans and Xtians (was Re: Sex Scandal etc)

(...) Heh, well, that's a little extreme :) I'd probably argue that while not "ordained by God", Christmas and Easter are still Christian celebrations; not worshipping any differently than allowed to by the Bible-- unless there's something in there (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pagans and Xtians (was Re: Sex Scandal etc)

(...) This statement is misleading. Most Christians associate Jesus' resurrection with the word "Easter". Obviously, the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus was never a pagan holiday, although the celebration of the feast to Astre was. They are (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pagans and Xtians (was Re: Sex Scandal etc)

(...) I know they are pre-christian; Easter I had always thought as having been conveniently adopted by Christianity from Judahism. Which in turn may have had it adopted from another pagan belief - quite honestly, I find that of little consequence, (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pagans and Xtians (was Re: Sex Scandal etc)

(...) I'm pretty sure it has a lot do with the prohibition concerning idolatry via the decorating of trees in Jeremiah: ---...--- 10:1 Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel: 10:2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)