 Off-Topic / Debate / 20812
Re: One more reason why I'm refusing to shop in Wal*Mart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 14:05:13 GMT

Here's a tangent on this topic--

http://www.canoe.com/NewsStand/TorontoSun/News/2003/05/08/81930.html

In which one of our more esteemed ward councillors in the Big Smoke is in a
wee bit of a tizzy against an advert.

Seems that "Nellie Pedro, a Toronto District School Board trustee" doesn't
like a commercial made by Molson.  This commercial, featuring the outspoken
Don Cherry (there's a whole other topic there for those intersted in
televisions only watchable sport), has a nice jingle that her 12 year old
son is reciting thru the Pedro abode.  As well, her nice, innocent son is
pressuring his papa to buy said beer so he can collect Don's imprinted jackets.

This is something I didn't know--there's a CRTC statute that states:

"no well-known personality may be used in liquor advertising who may
reasonably be expected to appeal, either directly or indirectly, to persons
under the legal drinking age if the advertisement contains direct or
indirect endorsement of liquor or consumption."

Which makes sense--I wouldn't want "Mr. Dressup" or "The Friendly Giant" to
go on about the joys of beer to their viewers.

That said, Grapes isn't a personality figure aimed at kids.  As the article
further states, Don's demographic for his little intermission show, "Coaches
Corner" "show that 4% of the viewership comes from ages 12 to 17. The
over-19s account for 87.6 % and they're legally entitled to drink beer."

My favourite DJ got wind of this and made Ward Coucillor Nellie "The Tool of
the Day," and pointed out that, for the last 5 years our education system
here in Ontario has been crumbling and mayhaps school trustees should focus
on that instead of beer commercials.

For me it's fluffing off parental responsibilities onto the "bad world out
there".  Take some responsiblity for your kids.  If they are 'easily
influenced' by commercials, then by all means, don't let them watch
commercials.  Don't dictate to me and mine what's appropriate if your family
can't handle it.

Dave K