 Off-Topic / Debate / 20793
Re: One more reason why I'm refusing to shop in Wal*Mart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 04:45:30 GMT

http://money.cnn.com/2003/05/06/news/companies/walmart_mags/index.htm

"
The Times said that the company's standards and the magazines' content have
not changed, but the firm has been under pressure from Christian groups in
the past for its sale of certain magazines.
"

Another reason why these "Christians" are not my idea of Christianity.  I
was looking for an opportune time to throw in a Sorkin quote, and here it is...

"...It was very easy for me to think, as it is very
easy for a lot of people to think..., that most often
one should be suspicious of [religion].

A example of an intolerant generalization that is devoid of substance and
meaning.

Well, it's a quotation taken from a television producer/writer that has one
of the best shows on television--a show that actually discusses issues of
political, moral, and ethical issues--I guess that makes him basically
devoid of substance and meaning.  Unlike the "Christian" petition of
magazines at Wal*Mart--much substance and full of meaning.

Whether you agree with his politics or not, at least he's *saying*
something, unlike the trended direction of television these days--'reality
television'.  But that's a different topic.

That most often
it's an instrument of hypocrisy or, worse yet, of bullying:

Prove?  Cites?  More BS generalizations.

Cites?  Did you read above? BS Generalizations--"Christian" groups are
bullying Wal*Mart.

'You're not living your life the way I would have you live it,
the way God would have you live it.

Therefore, God is going to
punish you; you are somehow less in God's eyes.' Obviously, that
kind of thing is insidious and terrible."

Yes, and Christians certainly don't believe that.  The Gospel revealed by Jesus
is that God loves everyone *unconditionally*.  Sorkin is ignorant.

The *Bible* says that.  However, that's not what these pseudo-Christians are
saying--they are saying "play by our rules or you're wrong" "Believe in our
God or you're wrong"  "Adhere to what we want and forget about the 1st
ammendment or we'll petition you until you do."  It is your belief, John, if
this is, indeed, your slant on Christianity, that is ignorant.

Hey you pseudo-Christians--Go back to your Bible and read the *entire*
thing--don't go admonishing others about their lack of values when you are
supposedly professing to be Christian and not getting that you're not
suppose to do that--You're all Pharisees! To you I say, "Take a
seat"--You're not helping.

Hey plank eye-- what's crawled up yours?  They are perfectly within their
rights to pressure Wal*Mart into removing those rags-- that is the American
way.  So don't patronize WM because of it-- fine.  But criticizing them is
stupid.

Didn't these pseudo-Christians criticize?  Am I not entitled,under the
"American Way" to do likewise?  Am I not allowed to point out hypocricy
where it exists?  Tell me, where's the difference?

And to Wal*Mart, who succumbs to this type of 'peer-pressure'--well, your
decision--my decision is to not shop where I'm going to be 'protected' from
life.

They obviously care more about that group's input than yours-- TS.

Obviously. Squeaky wheel and all that. But does that make it *right* or
*Just*?  More importantly, why Maxim, FHM, et al.  Imean, they're not Swank
or Hustler--we're already "protected" from the hedonistic influence of
Playboy and such in Wall*Mart--so then it's Maxim.  Oh no--Women's Day has
advertisements of strategically posed nekkid females promoting skin cream!
What if my 9 year old son takes a look at that and turns out to be a sex
predator!!  Women's Day--Off the shelves!!!

Yeah, since in today's age it's politically correct to stomp on just about
every other ammendment, let's throw out the 1st whilst we're at it, 'cause
these pseudo-Christians know what's better for you than you do.

JOHN

Dave K